Re: To dip or not to dip?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To dip or not to dip?
From: Todd Harbold <tharbold@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:11:50 -0400
>    -edited for brevity-
>
>Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:
>
> I feel that if the car is clean with a little surface rust, then dipping is
> not the way to go, since you will be removing painted surfaces in some vital
> areas such as boxed in sections and seams, that would be hard to get paint to
>
> Scott Helms
> TRMGAFUN@AOL.COM

This partially answers a question that popped into my mind when the
entire
redi-strip thread began.  Maybe some others of you who have had the
process
done can help me out.  I gather from the previous posting that the
redi-strip
process removes all paint, body filler, rust, and other sorts of bad
stuff
leaving a coating on the now clean metal.

I have gotten conflicting messages as to whether the shell should be
immediately
primered or whether the coating should be cleaned off before spraying
with primer.

Given the above, my questions are:
1) Should the remaining coating be removed before applying primer?

2) If the answer to question #1 is yes, what approach do you take to
boxed in sections?
Do you attempt to clean them as much as possible before spraying primer?

3) For that matter, how do you go approach spraying primer in the blind
areas?
Do you just go for it and spray away wihtout concerns about the
thickness or
eveness of the application?

Thanks in advance
Todd H.
74 Spit 1500 FM10350U
To dip or not to dip?  That is the question.