Re: Herald Engine

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Herald Engine
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:35:42 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: MARGHERITA@aol.com, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:

> >It has the single intake manifold. Wasn't it changed to the double intakes in
> >the 12/50?
>
> Pardon! Do you mean twin carbs, if so then no, the 12/50 still had the single
> downdraft solex, but a different(longer) manifold(Am I right Andy??) :-)

That's true; you're absolutely right. The 12/50 exhaust manifold has a
longer and bigger outlet (same headpipe gasket as the 948 Herald TC or the
Spitfire 4 Mk.1).

> >Here's a question, I want to swap the doors. I see that the windows are
> >different between the two  and that the conv. doors have extra hardware above
> >the door latches. Can I swap the doors provided I use the same windows?
>
> The saloon doors should have the two little dimples where the holes go for the
> convertible door anti-burst catches(obviously NOT drilled though), fit these
> and change the door glass and everything will fit fine.

Right again, AFAIK. Are you putting conv. doors on the saloon or saloon
doors on the conv.? I'm curious, in that most every saloon door I've got
has some rot (tinworm) at the bottom, whereas most of my convertible
doors (the ones I'd expect to rot more severely) are just fine! Is rust
the problem you're dealing with here?

--Andy, who, thanks in part to Clark Nicholls, has one of the largest
collection of Herald doors in the Northeast US

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *