Re: TR3 Radio

To: drake@direct.ca (len drake), paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Radio
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:47:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Len, I have seen the radio and the console properly mounted on the
transmission tounel in front of the shift lever.  The radio is a PYE.  Its
an AM only tube type.  I have a couple of pictures around here somewhere.
If you decide to get rid of this let me know.  The TR3 that had the radio
was from Calgery Canada.

At  3:00 PM 10/22/96 -0700, len drake wrote:
>Hi Paul - thanx for the radio info - it arrived with Friday's
>mail.  On Thursday, I purchased a 1962 TR3A TS81261 and in the
>trunk was the correct console mount for the radio with the
>speaker still mounted in the grill.  The speaker indicates
>it was made in London.  The radio itself is gone however.
>What is interesting is that on the speaker grill, there is
>the "PYE" emblem attached on a little metal plate.  It leads
>me to believe that possibly all the radios supplied with TR3's
>weren't Smith's Radiomobile, as this looks very professional
>and in order to install this emblem, one would have had to
>have the radio mount console out and the speaker removed.
>Possibly some of these were used before the introduction of
>the Triumph nameplate in the TR4 radios.  More research is
>needed.
>
>If anyone else has seen the Pye radio used in this application,
>I would appreciate hearing about it.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Len Drake

TeriAnn