Re: Herald Engine

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Herald Engine
From: MARGHERITA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 02:22:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>As near as I've been able to tell over the years, the Sports name came
>about in the U.S. sometime in 1964. Along with that name would have
>likely come the "12/50" grille, the GB commission number series, and a
>few other minor changes.

Yes it has the 12/50 grille. Its in good shape but I like the earlier types
better.

>Last things first. The engine could perhaps be original, but it's more
>likely that the original engine would have had a "GD" prefix, which
>usually indicates some form or other of the later 1200's "12/50" engine
>-- either 48 or 51 hp as opposed to the earlier Herald 1200's 39 hp.

As for the engine number, It sure looks like an capital I to me. But
whatever, its all stock. And I'm told the engine was rebuilt  shortly before
it was stored. I think it's a 1200
It has the single intake manifold. Wasn't it changed to the double intakes in
the 12/50?

As to restorability, the usual Herald advice applies. If the chassis is
>sound, go for it. Yes, convertibles are more desirable and (arguably)
>more fun and valuable, there's much to be said in defense of the sedan.
>It's much roomier in the back, it's a bit more weathertight than a
>convertible, and (in the U.S.) it's a much scarcer car. Convertibles
>outsold sedans by as much as 5:1 or more in the later years of Herald
>imports in the U.S.

I'm seriously tempted to make the saloon driveable. A big factor is getting
it to run.  I hope to get in running this weekend. The body is solid. After
I'm done swaping parts with my conv. I will still have a complete saloon. I
needs a rear center Valence and overriders.

Here's a question, I want to swap the doors. I see that the windows are
different between the two  and that the conv. doors have extra hardware above
the door latches. Can I swap the doors provided I use the same windows?

Later,
John