Re: Herald Engine

To: MARGHERITA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Herald Engine
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:23:12 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 MARGHERITA@aol.com wrote:

> I recently bought a 1966 Herald Saloon that has been in storage for over 10
> years. It's badged as a "Sports" 1200, I guess the the herald name was
> dropped in the U.S. by 1966.

As near as I've been able to tell over the years, the Sports name came
about in the U.S. sometime in 1964. Along with that name would have
likely come the "12/50" grille, the GB commission number series, and a
few other minor changes.

> I'm still deciding if its restorable or a parts car for my 64 conv.  Since it
> hasn't run in 10 years I've begun cleaning the fuel system in preparation to
> see if it will run. I was told that it had a "fresh" engine at the time it
> was stored (I bought it from an Import auto wrecker in  San Francisco). The
> engine  # is GAI68340ES. The "I" seems out of place. I think it's the
> origonal engine. The VIN # is GB29822LDL.  Can anyone shed som light.

Last things first. The engine could perhaps be original, but it's more
likely that the original engine would have had a "GD" prefix, which
usually indicates some form or other of the later 1200's "12/50" engine
-- either 48 or 51 hp as opposed to the earlier Herald 1200's 39 hp.

As to restorability, the usual Herald advice applies. If the chassis is
sound, go for it. Yes, convertibles are more desirable and (arguably)
more fun and valuable, there's much to be said in defense of the sedan.
It's much roomier in the back, it's a bit more weathertight than a
convertible, and (in the U.S.) it's a much scarcer car. Convertibles
outsold sedans by as much as 5:1 or more in the later years of Herald
imports in the U.S.

Perhaps (John M., Dave E., jump in any time to back me up here) the
sedans are the truly cool Heralds to have in the U.S. ;-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov

...and owner of Joseph, the Amazing Technicolor Herald 948 saloon and others