Re: Spitfire engine swap?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine swap?
From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 19:28:09 -0500
>Eric,
>        I've just heard this throught the grapevine, but I've heard it from
>a couple different people, so it's probably worth paying attention to it.
>Don't stuff a high torque engine into your Spit, you'll tear up the tranny,
>diff, most of the backe end (I think), and, depending on the amount of
>toruque, possibly your chassis rails and chassis itslef. I doubt you'd want
>to tear up your beautiful Spit, so I'd be careful there. Everyone else on
>the list, correct me if I've gone wrong somewhere (which, considering how
>this week has been, is a sure thing...): Good Luck!
>
>Jeff Stovall
>jstovall@earthlink.net
>"I'm God's gift to humility."
>1966 Triumph GT6 mk1
>AKA "Le bombe blanche"

Thanks for you concern Jeff.

Well my plans at this point include replacing the transmission and rear end.
I have the rearend out of a '73 Corvette that I will use if I can get it to
fit.  If anyone has had some experiences with re-enforcing the frame I would
like to hear about it.  At this point all I have in mind is a 8 or 10 point
roll cage (Hopefully it will fit under a hard top).

Also, what is the biggest tire-rim combination that will fit under the stock
wheel wells?
Rim dimensions and backspacing would be helpfull.
I may be a little optimistic but I would like to use 245-50-14's on 14x7 or
14x8 rims.
As far as tearing up my car (which I don't have yet), if it were Beautifull
I wouldn't be experimenting with it.

Eric
esc@firstnethou.com