Re: Spitfire engine swap?

To: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine swap?
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>If anyone out there has any stories that they
>would like to tell about doing an engine swap
>in a Spitfire I would like to hear them.  I  am
>particulary interested in suspension and rearend
>modifications to handle LOTS more HP.  My own
>tenative plan calls for stuffing a modified '73
>Corvette rear end (or parts thereof) into a pre-
>emmisions Spitfire.  But this is very tenative, I don't
>even have the car yet. (Still looking)
>Please tell me what you have tried?
>What have you broken?
>What worked for you?
>Anything you have to offer will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Eric Comstock
>esc@firstnethou.com
>Nothing yet but I am still looking.
>If you have a pre-emission Spitfire for sale, let me know.
>(In Texas)

Eric,
        I've just heard this throught the grapevine, but I've heard it from
a couple different people, so it's probably worth paying attention to it.
Don't stuff a high torque engine into your Spit, you'll tear up the tranny,
diff, most of the backe end (I think), and, depending on the amount of
toruque, possibly your chassis rails and chassis itslef. I doubt you'd want
to tear up your beautiful Spit, so I'd be careful there. Everyone else on
the list, correct me if I've gone wrong somewhere (which, considering how
this week has been, is a sure thing...): Good Luck!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."
1966 Triumph GT6 mk1