Re: Car Bras

To: hdrsons@iamerica.net (Hal Rogers), Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: Re: Car Bras
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:00:23 -0700
At  8:56 AM 10/9/96 -0600, Hal Rogers wrote:
>At 09:24 AM 10/9/96 +0100, Daren Allder wrote:
>>
>>Peter Thorsen wrote:
>>The bra phenomenon is totally unknown here in Europe, the first time I
>>saw it was when I was in California to work last year. What is the
>>purpose
>>of the bra? Is it purely cosmetical or what ???

In the US there is an ongoing love relationship with cars.  People like to
make thiers special by adding things to it & customizing it.  The newish
regulations are making it harder and harder to do this on cars built after
1965.  I think car bras, custom wheels and custom licnese plates are about
the only things open and easily doable by most people.

The car bra phenomina started in the US in the late 60s to protect
expensive sport cars while on country tours.  For a while it was the realm
of XKE and Porche owners.  Then companys like MG mitton popularized it
(Blame the MG people ;*)  Then later on the masses cought on and the would
be exclusive Jag and Porche owners ababndoned it.  I think it is still
looked on im some circles as a way to show that your car is a ture sports
car, even if it is a rice burner.

Though we all know true sports cars have wire wheels, mirrors on the wings,
side curtains and tractor engines!

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com