Car Bras

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: Car Bras
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 9:24:00 +0100
Peter Thorsen wrote:
The bra phenomenon is totally unknown here in Europe, the first time I
saw it was when I was in California to work last year. What is the
purpose
of the bra? Is it purely cosmetical or what ???

As far as I understand it, they're to protect the front of the car from
stone chips, kamikaze flies etc.  [ Do they still permit flies in
California? (-: ]  so, yes, you could argue they're for cosmetic reasons,
in that they protect the cosmetic appearance of the car.  But no-one can
see the lovely paintwork under all that horrid vinyl.  Now if someone
would develop a transparent car bra....

Also, what good do they do if the CA (or wherever) sun fades the rest of
your paintwork?  I'm not being facetious here.  I just can't see the
point of the things, unless you take 'em off when you park the car.  They
just seem to be an (IMHO) awful "fashion" accessory.  Still at least
they're not dangerous, like "bull bars".

Daren Allder
Topless Herald
Reading UK