Re: TR2 update

To: Matt Barre <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR2 update
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:38:36 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Matt Barre wrote:

> cues that would confirm the originality of the car.  He said that it was
> NOT a long door based on what callers had asked him to confirm.  I asked
> if the bonnet was steel or aluminum and he said steel.  He said he has
> owned the car for 5 years and he bought it from a close friend that had
> owned it for 15 years or so. (he also told me last night that he was the
> second owner??)  He said he had no doubt that the commission plate was
> original.

Could well be, but it doesn't mean it's original to THAT body or chassis.

> I am confused myself as if the comm. number is in fact TS45 it can't be a
> short door.  It looks like I can get down to look at it tomorrow
> afternoon.  I will read the Triumph Buyers Guide to familiarize myself
> on TR2 characteristics.

Aside from the "obvious cues" (which are likely to be missing, based on
what you've already found out), try to get as many numbers as possible,
from either or both of the tags on the top center of the firewall above
the batter, and from the chassis frame (frontmost crossmember, I think?).

There is no doubt that TS45L, if authentic, would at least have the long
doors and the MG-TD style "squared" taillamps (or at least the rear
fender and apron profiles and apertures to accommodate that lamp). An
engine change would not be surprising, so looking for the old-style
thermostat housing, H6 carbs, black valve cover, etc. might result in a
fruitless search.

I'm sure it would be too much to hope for even traces of the original
top (single small rear window), tonneau, side curtains, etc. or any
Lucas components with old date codes on them (although it's always
possible that, say, a voltage regulator or fuse box might be original.

Sadly, it sounds to me as if there might be little of TS45L beyond the
commission number plate (and hopefully paperwork to go with it). Let's
hope I'm wrong and the owner was confused and the car needs only a
thorough scrubbing to become not only driveable but of museum-quality
(whoa, SNAP OUT OF IT, ANDY!)

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant