RE: Newbe TR6 Questions

To: steveb@verity.com (Steve Benelisha)
Subject: RE: Newbe TR6 Questions
From: TWALLI@vanheusen.com (Walling, Tom)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 18:05:11 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Steve -

There are two things that can ruin a convertible top... UV rays from the sun
and dust
particles.

A few rules about maintaining your top:

    Never, never, never "dust" (or rub) the clear windows when they are dry
    Use plenty of water when you wash the top and the windows
    Only use high quality soap or detergent on the top (or a vinyl cleaner)
    Don't use a product like Windex on the windows -- only soap and water
    Be very careful when folding the top for stowage that you don't crease
the
        windows and that they don't rub against each other (I've seen people
        place a soft cloth or towel between the large rear window and the
side
        windows when the sides are folded in)
    Try to keep the car out of the sun as much as possible -- keep it in the
garage or
         buy a car cover -- this will help preserve the paint too
    There are products available to help "fix" scratches and the like --
just be
         careful no to over-do it when polishing the clear plastic.
    And, of course, there's always ArmourAll (or equivalent) to shine things
up
          (but I think that it makes the widows look greasy)

I've never heard of anyone really fixing a top that has gotten ratty, yellow
or
milky, but there may be some way to do it.  I do know that if you take the
effort
to keep the top looking good, it can last virtually forever.  I saw a top on
a TR4A
at the VTR this summer that looked like it was brand new, but was (according
the owner) the original top on the car, and the car was driven daily, even
in the
Winter in New Jersey!

        Good Luck with your "new" TR6...

                  Tom Walling