FW: Classic Insurance

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Classic Insurance
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 96 16:21:00 PDT
Encoding: 45 TEXT
Dan Pruzan wrote:
I called Condon & Skelly, the company initially referenced.  The $30/year
covers basic liability, medical expenses, and uninsured motorists (it can
be a bit higher depending on the amount of coverage you want).  If you
want comprehensive, i.e. fire, theft, and collision, it is $0.0085/year
times the insured value of your car, e.g. a $10k car would cost an
additional $85/year.  But there is zero deductible for cars more than 25
years old which is nice. They told me that the insurance only covered you
while on club outings,  parades, and "maintenance rides".  The car is not
covered for going to
work or running errands.  I use my car a fair amount for the latter two
and decided not to pursue this plan.  If you know of a policy that allows
for the occasional trip to the office please let me know.

PS I don't know how they track the 2500 miles per year, unless they can
get the information from the State if/when it is recorded during
smog/safety inspections.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The way they tell if you have driven over 2500 miles per year is when you go
to file a claim.  They compare the mileage of the vehicle at the time of the
claim to the claimed mileage of the vehicle at the time you purchased
insurance for the vehicle.  If the mileage pencils out to more than 2500
over the course of the insured 12 month period you are SOL on the claim.
 They do not monitor your mileage, that is up to you.

I, too, would be interested in finding out more about the various insurers
that offer "classic" car insurance.  Obviously, the premium will be low if
all you are buying is minimal (10/30) liability coverage versus the more
desireable 100/300 liability coverage.  The key to keeping the cost low
would appear to be the absence of collision coverage, which can be quite
expensive.

The deal offered by Condon & Skelly appears to be very good expecially in
comparison to the additional coverage I purchased for my recently acquired
Porsche 356C coupe ($275 per year, 5000 max miles per year, liability only
(100/300), NO comp. or collision) based upon it qualifying for a "3rd car"
discount (my commuter car and the Bronco are the other 2 cars).  Would you
please post their number on the list so that I can retrieve it and give them
a call?  Thanks.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery) (and not even registered or insured yet)