Re: Newbe TR6 Questions

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Newbe TR6 Questions
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 21:17:15 -0400
Hello Steve,

Just read Tom Walling's advice regarding tops & windows, it all sounds
right to me, in fact I found a page from the manufacturer of the now 7-yr-
old top on my car, and it's just as Tom said.  I've seen many tops damaged
by improper folding -- read your manual or consult a local TRiumph owners
club about the proper folding / stowing procedure; unfortunately it's a bit
more involved than just unhooking the header and smashing everything down
into the area behind the seats, although I've seen that done often enough !
That's what usually causes the side windows to be split open, if not worse.

As for the moan from the rear-end gear (diff) above 40 mph, that may or may
not be cause for concern, and I surely can't diagnose it via e-mail, but
keep in mind that the diff is bolted directly to the car's frame, right be-
hind the seats; and although it has rubber cushions in the mounts, it's
still likely to be more easily heard there than the typical solid-axle
rear-drive car like Grandpa's old Pontiac.  There are other candidates for
the noise in close proximity, as well, along with the ring & pinion gears:
the various stub-axle and carrier bearings in the diff, and (hope it ain't
so) the rear wheel bearing hubs as well; and don't forget the 6 U-joints.
If you think it's too loud to ignore, seek experienced help here.  One more
thing in this area:  next time you're under there, check the right front
diff mounting bolt - they're frequently jerked loose from the `bridge' that
they should be hung from, by a DPO popping the clutch too often, or letting
his friend learn to `drive a stick' in it. That loose mounting bolt could
be vibrating around down there at certain speeds, if that's a problem.

As far as hard shifting, I think the linkage of the shifter can be lubed,
but I've never done that, so don't know what gymnastics or dis-assembly
may be required -- bu I bet someone else on this list would know, how 'bout
it folks ?  I could probably use this advice myself, as my own car makes a
noise when shifting from 2 to 3 that sounds just like a scared ground hog's
alarm whistle.

Good luck with your new TR,
keep the rubber side down.
Best regards,