Re: Re[2]: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!
From: sbrborg@umslvma.umsl.edu (Brian Borgstede)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 21:44:23 -0600
>> The voltage stabilizer, mounted to the back of the speedo, has a couple of
>> green wires attached, and supplies a constant 10v to the fuel and temp
>> gauges. Through the use of a bi-metal strip, that quickly makes and breaks
>> the circuit, it reduces the 12v (normally plus and minus a volt or two) to a
>> constant 10 volts, thus stabilizing the readings to those gauges.

>Hey gang,
>This looks like the prefect spot for some new technology! Has anyone tried
>a linear IC type
> regulator
>for this application?

Yes!
A friend of mine is a model rail roader, and uses 12V variable voltage
regulators for his trains.  I told him of my need for a 10V regulator,
and he made me one with an electronic regulator and a trim pot.
after I installed it I put a meter on the output and adjusted it to 10V.

If you want you can put more gas in your car at the twist of a knob!
(However, your engine will run hotter :-)
YMMV

      Brian Borgstede                           Phone (314)   524-6523