Re: Fender Bender - need help

To: James Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: Fender Bender - need help
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:49:01 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
James Cullen wrote:

> Unfortunately my LBC was in a minor accident this a.m.. Appears not too bad,
> I got banged up on the right front below the bumper, damage to the right
>Sorry to hear it.
>
> 1) My car is British racing green (non-metallic) does anybody know of a
> parts supplier etc. that would have this paint in spray form. I've looked
> here in Vancouver Canada a bit, but no luck as of yet.
>You don't say if this is the original color.  If it is, get the paint
code from the commission or door plate and give that to your local paint
dealers and ask them if the color's available in aerosol form.  If they
have no clues, try Rimmer in England.  They have such in stock, I
believe.

> 2) I've talked to a few people who have suggested it might be possible to
> fix the minor frame damage with a winch like device called a "come-a-long",
> should I do this, or should I take it to a professional. If I do take it to
> a professional how much should I be looking at paying for a small job like
>this.

If you have no experience in straightening frames, I would probably
suggest not trying it yourself, unless you're willing to expend a fair
amount of time getting it right.  The other question is of hidden damage.
What may _appear_ to be superficial damage may, in fact, not be.  Some
loads get transferred into the frame in weird ways, and you could have
some deformation further back which is not apparent to the naked eye.  I
would call around, just to see if anyone you know has recommendations on
a reliable frame shop in your area.  And then, call for an appointment
for an estimate.  It might turn out to be very reasonable, providing the
damage is as limited as you seem to think.  A good frame man can pull
that area back very well, since they have the experience to know the
angle at which the frame was hit, and can make the pull in exactly the
opposite direction of collapse.
Cheers.