re: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: re: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:09:39 -0500
>Well kids, the trials and tribulations continue...today on the way home
>my temp guage suddenly skyrocketed to H and beyond.  Now, it was
>warm out (90+), but she's never gone much over half, even when low on water.
>I glanced over to my oil pressure...everythings ok (55 lbs.) at 65mph.
>I look over at the gas guage ....suddenly I have a more than full tank of
>petrol.
>Now this would be possible had I refuel in flight capability, but alas no,
>this too was an impossibility.  Five miles down the road everything dropped
>back to normal.  Now some Lucas quirks I can live with, but....this is scary!
>The only electrical work I have done recently was the connection for my
>overdrive
>circuit using the existing hot that feeds the reverse switch/light  circuit.
>There have been no other anomolies since this connection was made,
>it has been 9 days since.
>
>Has anyone run into these symptoms before...where should I start to diagnose?

Of course! The voltage stabilizer on my GT6 has gone out three times - with
varying symptoms, usually low fuel and temp, but sometimes high fuel and
temp. It's a $10 part, probably on the back of the speedo (I haven't had to
do this on the Spit yet), swap it out and
all should be well. Actually, I'l wait to replace it until the symptoms
got continuous, so I could make sure that was the problem.