Re: Re[2]: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!

To: PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov, CBrown1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Spitfire electrical problems.....go figure!
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:21:47 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Peter,
>
> The voltage stabilizer is not related to the voltage regulator of the
> charging circuit.
>
> The voltage stabilizer, mounted to the back of the speedo, has a couple of
> green wires attached, and supplies a constant 10v to the fuel and temp
> gauges. Through the use of a bi-metal strip, that quickly makes and breaks
> the circuit, it reduces the 12v (normally plus and minus a volt or two) to a
> constant 10 volts, thus stabilizing the readings to those gauges.
>
> If the unit fails, the gauges will both read top of the scale or nothing.
>
> Such is life,
> Charlie B.

Hey gang,

This looks like the prefect spot for some new technology! I put a 12V regulator
on the feed line to the tach in my B when I switched to - gnd and a Delco one
wire alternator. Worked GREAT, no failures since. This stock device as described
sounds like a real Michael Mouse device. Has anyone tried a linear IC type
regulator
for this application? If not I'll be happy to be first this winter as we
reassemble
the Spitfire-6 for number one (and only) son. I'll even tell you all how to do
it
for yourself.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer