Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix

To: hooper@cdclu2.genrad.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:47:54 -0500
If your pin has broken off flush or inside the cross shaft it will be a
straightforward job. It will fall out after removing the wire (tap-tap) That
has never happened for me though, they have broken in a way as to hang up the
fork on the shaft, and require dis- assembling (removing the mainshaft and
all gears) the transmission in order to drill out the pin through the front
bearing opening in the case. It would be wise to replace the cross shaft and
put a hardened taper pin in as well. I've once drilled out the shaft and used
a Grade 8 bolt (I think it's 3/8-24x1.25"), drilled and wired in as was the
taper pin, by tapping in the threads. This fix was popularized by a guy named
Bob Schaller (methinks). The car I did it in was a friends TR3, which has yet
to be completed, so I can't personally attest for it's success, but with all
the slackness problems everyone always talks about with their TR3-6's, a
really tight, threaded fit here would semm to be a big PLUS. Besides, who
would ever want to do this again. The hardened taper pins break too.
Bob in Austin