Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix

To: hooper@cdclu2.genrad.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:13:18 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-25 13:41:54 EST, hooper@cdclu2.genrad.co.uk (Mike)
writes:

>After receiving advice form various sources (thanks to those who
>replied to my earlier mail) it seems I need to change the clutch
>release fork pin on my TR6 :-(
>
>Any hint of tips on this job?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mike.H.

Dear Mike:

Many cars over here on this side of the pond have the fork welded to the
shaft because the car was worked on by someone not familiar with British cars
or know of part sorces for same.  These "wankers" (branleur) just welded it
up.  One advantage of this approach is that the bolt will ont cause any
problems. (.

I have successfully replaced two fork pin bolts in my few years of working on
TR6's.  The first time I sacrificed the shaft by cutting it into two pieces
which allowed me to remove it and drill the pin out and remove the fork.  I
replaced the shaft which is less expensive than the fork (at least over
here).

More recently  I was able to drill out the fork pin bolt while the shaft was
still in place.  I was able to do this only because the transmission was
fully disassembled and I could drill through the input shaft opening.  If you
are rebuilding the transmission the second approach will save you some pounds
sterling but if you are not disassembling the transmission the first approach
is the one I would recomend.

Well, I hope this helps.

Dave  St. Louis, MO, USA, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe (etc.)

P.S. : I used an angle grinder to cut the shaft.  It is made of a hard steel
which may be nearly impossible to cut with a hack saw.