Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix

To: Mike <hooper@cdclu2.genrad.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch release fork pin fix
From: emanteno@ix.netcom.com (Irv Korey)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:10:42 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:

>I originated this thread because I have the daunting task of doing
>this fix. From various hints/tips I've recieved it seems I will be
>lucky to find the removal of the old pin a simple matter and will
>either need to dismantle the gearbox or cut the clutch shaft out.
>I don't intend to dismantle the gearbox so I had opted for the
>cutting option. However the 'weld it up' solution is now my
>favourite - less work involved and as I was intending to cut the
>shaft out anyway I wont be pissed off if I have to do it at a
>later date!
>
>Can anyone throw any more light on this solution - are there any
>other drawbacks?

Mike,

Many years ago, around 1983 when I put an o/d gearbox in my TR6, I
checked the fork pin and found it to be broken. I can't remember the
details well now as I am an old fart, but I do remember this clearly: I
was able to drill the fork from the opposite side of the broken pin,
insert a punch, and punch out the broken remains. I did this without
cutting the shaft or taking apart the tranny. Maybe I was lucky that
this worked, but I seem to remember reading this as a tech tip
somewhere, and being thrilled/stunned that it worked, especially since
I am a lousy mechanic. Have fun and good luck.

Irv
74 TR6 original owner
CF22767U