Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, jimmuller@rcn.com, NASS Spitfire
Subject: Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:39:11 -0400
On 28 Mar 2009 at 9:04, Todd Bermudez wrote:

> To make matters more interesting, this is a right hand drive car.

You sure have an interesting collection of cars, three Mk I's, two of
which are RHD.  On which side of the Pond do you live, for all love?
And how is it that one is considered a '66?  I thought they started
as '67 models, at least in the US.  And why would someone chop up a
Spitfire frame to build an ambidextrous (sort of) GT6?  Most people
chop up a GT6 to build a Spitfire 6.

> I suspect the Gearbox came from the LHD car.

Shouldn't make any difference.  Unless you have trouble shifting with
your left hand.

> So I put a late Spit differential in the car & it should be back to
> US spec as far as the speedo is concerned

Perhaps the significant point is that it takes it back to (or simply
leaves it at) US-intended gearing, which of course determines how
your engine revs for any given speed.  That you have OD means you can
really take either diff.

> but what about the speedo itself?  It's in MPH so I think it's a
> US spec speedo?

The last time I checked, which was never, the Imperial Mile was about
the same as a US mile, though I could be wrong.  Nah, any difference
wouldn't be in the speedometer but in the drive gear at the gearbox,
I suspect.  If your tires aren't close to original your speedometer
won't read accurately anyway, and in any case, the different
speedometer drives should be obtainable.  I confess I've never had
reason to worry about it.

> The tyres are bigger than stock so I would think it would read
> slow.

Yes. The question is, how much.  I've got 175/70x13 on my GT6 and my
speedometer reads maybe 3 to 4 mph slow at an indicated 70, checked
once by GPS.  On the other hand, on such a small car they look
purposeful.  They look so enormously aggressive that kids have asked
me if I had 15" wheels.  I guess their only point of reference was a
'Stang or something similar.

(Sharon, look.  He spells tyres with a y.  Which side of which ocean
is he coming from?)

>...the big thing is to get the wife's car back together!

Oooh, the ultimate honey-dew task!  Lucky you!  I spent much of the
day shovelling compost for Sharon's garden.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com