Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff

To: <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff
From: scotts junk <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:40:21 -0500
hi Todd

A few points to consider:

A '68 GT6 and '79 Spit differential are similar but not identical.

I don't think you can swap the guts from the Spit into the GT6 diff case as
the early crownwheel carrier won't fit the late model nosecase. Even if they
did match up, the swap requires special tools and precision adjustments; a job
best left to those with both the tools and expertise to acomplish the task.
You can still use the Spit differential in the GT6, if you choose to after
reading the folowing caveats:

The Spit will have had a swing spring held on by 4 studs, the GT6 will use a
fixed spring held on by 6 studs. If you're going to use the fixed spring on
the Spit diff case, you should plug  the two unused holes in the case - use a
short (about the thickness of the top of the diff case) threaded cutoff from a
bolt/stud screwed in flush with the surface of the spring seat and
straked/locktited so it can't keep threading itself in and drop into the
works. (Not recommended to use the swing spring from the Spit as it will be
too soft to hold up the heavier GT6 back end and its lower roll rate will make
the already bad GT6 understeer even worse).

The GT6 will have had a 3:27 ratio, the Spit will likely be a 3.89, so if you
swap diffs, the engine will be revving quite a bit higher at highway speeds
(about 20% faster). As a tradeoff, acceleration will be a tad livelier.

There may also be some difference in the size of the stub axles and/or their
bearings, but this shouldn't matter as the GT6 halfshafts should still mate up
with the Spit stub axles OK and by '79 the Spit diff was about as strong as
they got.

Assuming you have the old diff and spring out of the GT6, the various bits of
power train and suspension links removed, and have taken off the nuts/studs
fastening the spring to the case, the only thing holding the spring on is dirt
and/or corrosion. Apply penetrating oil and a bit of friendly (BFH) persuasion
and the two should part company.

good luck

Scott

> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:37:54 -0700
> From: red_tr250@yahoo.com
>
> Hi All,
>
> Since I blowed up the diff in our '68 GT6, I went out & purchased a diff
from a '79 Spit. I went ahead & pulled the back off the blowed up punkin...not
good inside there! I wanted to use the case from the GT6 diff with the 6 studs
rather than the 4 stud Spit case. Well, not being an expert on these cars, I
decided against tearing the Spit case apart. The problem is, I cannot separate
the spring from the diff. I see there's some sort of pin in the
center...certainly it's not holding the spring to the case? How is this done?
I'm going to use the GT6 spring.