[Spits] Spring Unmated Now what?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, jimmuller@rcn.com, NASS Spitfire
Subject: [Spits] Spring Unmated Now what?
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
Jim et al,

The BFH did the trick...mental note, keep spring away from chrome bits on car
when using BFH!

Now for another few questions.

I pulled the drain plug from the Spit diff.  Not a ton of oil came
out....surprise...it's a TRiumph.  So, I might make the assumption the seals
may be questionable.  I am tempted to pull the rear of the Spit Diff & see
what's goin' on in there.  It does turn freely which is good, but perhaps an
inspection is in order?

Are there seals on each axle shaft?  I would assume so.  Lookin' at the GT6
diff(all blowed up) it would appear that there is a clip holding the bearing
to the shaft.  So, if I get the clip/bearing off, is there a seal under all
that?  Also, what about the input shaft seal?  Should I replace these things
whilst it's out?  Are there some pitfall should I open that can-o-worms?  It
would appear that there is some sort of cover over the slotted nut.  Is this
pryed out?

Or, should I leave well enough alone and put some GL4 in it & see what
happens?

Cheers,

Todd Bermudez #596
Cincinnati, OH