Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:34:13 -0400 (EDT)
Todd asked:
> I wanted to use the case from the GT6 diff with the 6 studs
> rather than the 4 stud Spit case.  Well, not being an
> expert on these cars, I decided against tearing the Spit
> case apart.

You don't have to be an expert.  The pumpkin comes off the back with minimal
trouble and with no effect on the critical mechanicals.  Remove the four
u-joint flange bolts on each side with an Allen wrench and the entire side
bearing with u-joint will pull out from the side.  Once they are out you can
undo all the bolts holding the pumpkin to the front and the pumpkin should pull
off easily, subject to how stuck the gasket is, of course.  The ring gear and
other interesting bits are all held by the front section.  Re-assembly is the
reverse procedure.

> I cannot separate the spring from the diff.

The spring is held to the diff by the plates, themselves held down by the nuts
on the studs.  That's all there is.  However the spring does fit into a notch
in the top of the diff.  It can become stuck in there due to weathering, rust,
dirt, etc.  A bit of "persuasion" with a BFH, maybe applied through an
appropriately size wedge-link object or drift, should do the trick.
--
Jim Muller