Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, jimmuller@rcn.com, NASS Spitfire
Subject: Re: [Spits] Separating spring from Diff
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:36:36 -0400
On 27 Mar 2009 at 15:39, Todd Bermudez wrote:

> Guess I should mention, this GT6 does have an overdrive
> gearbox...maybe it won't make a bit of difference then?

Ah!  If the gearbox and diff were original, or if both were swapped
out by someone so that the diff matches the gearbox as the factory
intended, then you probably had a 3.89 after all.

If someone had switched to an OD gerarbox but not swapped the diff
then you had European gearing.  (Lord knows what your speedometer
would have read though!  Did the PO who did the swap change its drive
gear too?  Nobody knows.)  In that case you will notice the revs
increase on the highway, but with the new diff it will be back to
what the factory wanted you to have.

I was noting on my drive home today that in 4th the speed is double
the tach reading (e.g. 4000rpm == 80mph, though my tires make the car
a bit slower than it reads), and at those speeds the speedometer and
tach needles are parallel.  As far as I know I have a 3.27 diff; I've
never bothered to look up the speed vs. rpm figures.  Well, actually
I have but I never bothered to remember them.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com