RE: Driver side lean

To: "'Bill Davies'" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Driver side lean
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:01:30 -0700
Bill,
This subject has so many variables that it is difficult to know for sure
if any assumption or opinion is correct.  The cars that have been
retrofitted with the swing-spring are different from the ones that it
came on, mainly in the axle length.  As Andy suggests, the fact that the
axles are longer probably contributes a great deal to the problem.  I
have looked at cars that have been converted using the shorter axles (I
have one) and it appears that the tendency to sag is either eliminated
or greatly reduced.  This leads me to believe that the longer axles do
play a major roll in the observed body lean.

But if the problem is actually with one of the front springs sagging, it
should be easy to prove by swapping the entire damper/spring assemblies
in the front.  If the sag remains unchanged after the swap (and the
frame is not bent) I would then suspect that the problem is indeed in
the rear spring assembly.  If however, the problem goes away or changes
to the other side, I would agree that it is probably due to a front
spring problem.

That said, many people on this list have proclaimed the problem fixed
after replacing only the swing-spring.  So, who is right?  I don't know.
It is highly subjective!

Cheers,
Joe