Re: Driver side lean

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driver side lean
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
>On those Spitfires I observe suffering from obvious leaning, when talking to
>the owners not a one has ever had a full 4 wheel alignment done to the car.
>Some have had a spacer in the right front spring perch. Others have shown
>crash damage or simply some bizzare stacks of shims in the front a-arm mounts.
>
>Alternatively, anyone with a later "Federal" Spitfire that has been
>"lightened" by removal of the extra bumper weight? Do you still see the "sag"
>over time?

FWIW, I have a '76 Fed that has the lean, and a bit of sag as well.  Still has
the original bumper, i.e. not lightened.  I have had two 4-wheel alignments
done on it (1 recently) and they did not affect either the lean or the sag.  I
don't have any spacers in the  front springs, but I do have the shims in the
a-arm mounts.  I opted to use adjustable air shocks - not the optimal solution
but it does help.

Best Regards,
Brian