Re: Driver side lean

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Driver side lean
From: Garry Hamblin <garry_hamblin@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:46:12 -0600
That is one very good solution, but I had this exact same thing happen
on the '74 Spitfire I used to have.  Had a distinct list to port.
Changed the spring at the back, springs at the front, had the alignment
checked, replaced the suspension uprights and on and on, no change.
Was getting very frustrated.  Wasn't till someone pointed out that
there was a bend in the frame where the sway bar attached that I had
overlooked that the light went on.  Unbolted the sway bar to check, and
no more lean.  The frame was bent just behind the sway bar attachment
point, and when the bar was attached, one side of the car went up.  Got
the frame fixed, and problem solved.  Kind of a long shot but worth
checking if nothing else works.

> GlacierMy 1980 Spitfire has always leaned on the driver side and over
> the
> years I have become used to it. I notice that most spitfires also lean
> on
> this side. So what's the story? Can it easily be fixed?
> best wishes
> zahid
>

> The story is that Triumph in their infinite wisdom chose to install
> that
> Swing-Spring to correct the Wheel tuck problem instead of Kas Kastner's
> Camber compensator.  In order for it to work, the spring is much softer
> than the early springs and therefore, the driver's weight tends to make
> the spring collapse after a while.  Replacing the spring will solve the
> problem but in a while it will be back.
>
> You can turn the leaves around so the weak part is on the passenger
> side
> and in time it will even out.

Garry Hamblin
Saskatoon, SK