pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:48:55 -0500
I finally made the transition from professional complainer to amateur
mechanic and have started the process of pulling the motor out of my 77
Spitfire with hopes of replacing or rebuilding it myself.  Talk about a
leap of faith.

I have a shop manual and a Haynes manual, so I'm doing ok so far.  I'm just
about at the point where I need to actual remove the engine.

A few days ago someone sent me an e-mail that including a web address which
described how he pulled the motor using only muscle power.

And somehow I managed to lose it on my computer.  Actually, Microsoft Dog
ate it.

Could that person send it to me again?

And if anyone else has tips, techniques, dire warnings or web sites about
removing and rebuilding engines, please send them on and I'll try to keep
MS Dog at bay.

By the way, thank you all for the encouragement that gave me the strength
(either real or delusional) to not give up on my Spit.

Thanks.

Jeff "How Did I Ever Get Here" Gruber

PS  I have a new found respect for British motor cars.  In the work I've
done so far to remove the engine, I have found many lose bolts and
connections.  I wonder how the car ever ran at all.  For example, the cable
to the starter motor was lose and rusty.