Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:08:19 -0400
I've no doubt it can be done, but the way the two of us were going, it was a
disaster from the get go.  We had no way of holding the 2x4 strong ways up, so
it turned sideways.  We were pulling the complete engine, with nothing removed.
 And we brilliantly thought we'd somehow lift it up over the windshield so as
to not remove the bonnet.  If we'd already had a case of beer between us, this
could almost make pathetic sense, but we were both sober!

Someone just suggested using a fence post or rail, that would make a lot more
sense to me.  No weak axes to accidently rotate onto.

I personally like hanging the engine from something like a tree or truss.  It's
slower, which allows me time to discover and disconnect the cable I missed. :-)
 It also allows me a lot of "Hmm" time, which I often need.

>>> "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com> 05/29 9:47 AM >>>
I'm surprised the board snapped.  A good quality 2X4, turned the
"4" way should be more than sufficient to hold the weight of the
spit motor (although it does sag most alarmingly if turned the "2"
way).  If doubtful, use a 2x6 or nail two 2x4s together, but I
would consider that overkill and just some additional weight to
hoist.

If I sound defensive, it's because it's MY webpage that Jeff
is referring to B-)