Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: jgruber@demainsoft.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:31:12 EDT
Pulling the engine is fairly easy compared to what you may have to do before
you put it back. We pulled ours with a long piece of 3" steel water pipe
staged over the car with a heavy duty ladder on one side and our deck railing
on the other (so first you need to build a deck) Anyhow, we used a come-along
attached to a short piece of chain bolted around the pipe to lift the engine
(another short piece of chain and two heavy bolts were attached to the engine
through the holes that Triumph so  thoughtfully provided), then we slid it
over to the left of the car and lowered it down to a level where it could be
bolted onto an engine stand.

I have also lifted out these engines with nothing but a pipe and two guys
muscle power, and though it can be done, it's not easy to deal with anything
that goes wrong when you're holding up your end of 300 or so lbs. So lifting
it with some kind of hoist is a much more orderly and much less hazardous
approach. Anyway, you need a hoist to maneuver it back in successfully.

Obviously, you need to carefully mark all the connections and stow the nuts
and bolts that accumulate rapidly in neat little baggies with 3x5 cards that
record where they came from and how many there were. Next time, we will do
this, I swear.

Drain as much of the precious bodily fluids as you can and then cap off the
openings with plugs or hose clamps as it will bleed like a stuck pig all over
everything when you start to move it and will continue to do so for some time
after you pull it.

Carefully record the arrangements of the brackets and standoffs that mount
the accessories as to length of bolts and placement. There are several pieces
that attach through the timing cover bolts and it's hard to get decent
pictures of them. There are also about five different length bolts for
different locations on the timing cover. Color coding might be a good idea.

I hate to tell you how many things you will find that you "might as well do
while you're in there."

Have fun,

Tom Burke
80 Spit