RE: pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: "Spitfires List Server" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:51:33 -0400
Jeff-

I've been there, done that, won't do it again.

When I first got my spit and decided to pull the engine, I pulled everything
off of it I could, unbolted it from the trans and muscled it out of the bay
alone.  It was such a pain, I figured I'd never get it back in that way.
Gotta be a better way.

The next time I had to pull an engine, I bolted a 2X6 across four rafters in
my garage to spread the weight, drove a 1-1/2" cast eyebolt into the middle
of it, attached a relatively inexpensive come-along to it and it's off to
the races.  Note, the trusses *MUST* be able to carry the load or your
garage may end up on your head.

Spit engines come out real easy now:
-Remove the bonnet
-Remove the Center Console/Brace
-Remove the transmission cover
-Disconnect fuel line, hoses, throttle, etc.
-Remove Clutch slave cylinder
-Remove bolts on engine and trans mounts
-Lift the entire engine/trans assembly out.

I've found the ease of separating the engine from the trans outweighs the
extra effort to pull the console brace & transmission cover. YMMV.

Chris