Re: Oil Coolers and Rocker Feeders

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers and Rocker Feeders
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:05:27 -0500

This is slightly off this subject.  But when I first bought my Spitfire,
it had
a blown engine.  I talked a lot with the local British car shop guru.
He told
me before I even tore the engine apart that either number 3 or number 4
main rod
bearings would be the trouble.

He was right - they were both spun.  Anyway, in the course of having the
engine
block prepared he told me that within a short time after introducing the
1500
engine Triumph sent out a TSB saying that if the engine was rebuilt the
oil
galley feeding those bearings should be enlarged as the galley didn't
provide
enough oil to deal with the added stress of being a 1500 instead of a
1296.

The interesting thing is, even though they recommended doing it whenever
doing a
rebuild they never enlarged the galley in original production,

Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire