Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:24:07 -0700
>the oilway that mates to the block and the oilway that
>comes out on top of the head are one size (I forget the size right now) but
>the connecting passage is smaller. If you remove that bolt at the back of
>the head (the one where the external oil kits connects) and drill out the
>passageway to the same diameter as the other two connecting passage ways you
Be careful when doing modifications of this nature.  This may have been a
purposely designed restriction, as the factory could have just as easily
made this passageway bigger if it was deemed a problem with "production"
engines (not racing engines here which require other mods not intended for
a street engine)  I'm not saying don't do this, just KNOW what it is your
doing, and the ramifications thereof-
Chances are opening up this restriction may LOWER your oil pressure all
other things being equal.  (If its in the bleed off from the cam bearing
then it won't, I haven't looked at these engines in a LONG time, but then
again you won't get any more oil either. . .) - I'll take a little
"perceived" increased wear at the rockers rather than at the main /rod
bearings  If however you were to install a higher capacity oil pump, then
opening this passage *may* be a good thing to do-

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)