Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders

To: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders
From: "RALPH JANNELLI" <RALPH.JANNELLI@Prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:34:49 -0400

> how many of you are actually running an oil cooler?
 No
> how many of you are actually running an exterior rocker oil feed pipe?
Yes on the '72 MKIV

On the 1147 engine in the MKII, I drilled out the restricive portion of the
oilway in the head.
Let me explain - the oilway that mates to the block and the oilway that
comes out on top of the head are one size (I forget the size right now) but
the connecting passage is smaller. If you remove that bolt at the back of
the head (the one where the external oil kits connects) and drill out the
passageway to the same diameter as the other two connecting passage ways you
don't need an external oil feed kit!!

This was told to me by a person who has raced and worked on Spits for most
of his life. It was passed on as a little "secret" but I think sharing it
with the list is approiate.

Ralph Jannelli
Matthews, NC
'65 Spitfire MKII