Re: new owners questions

To: "Nigel Anderson" <nigel.anderson@advancedeng.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: new owners questions
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:32:23 +0100
One thing I can tell you about the Spitfire, it's a lot less expensive than
my Metro was.  It's just I have had the Spitfire for longer and am
attempting a roling restoration to A1+ quality (eventualy).  It's so easy
for the novice to lear and work on.

>    b.. Can anyone recommend a good repair/service book that is ideal for a
>novice?

Yes, get yourself the Haynes manual from any local motorfactors, and then
the BL Spitfire 1500 Workshop Manual from a parts supplyers (no mater what
anyone says, the Workshop manual is worth its weight in gold, and you need
the Haynes to learn cars).  The workshop is more consice and detailed than
the haynes, but the Haynes explains it more.  Get the SU carburetter manual.
Then get Triumph World magazine.

>    c.. I have a thin fuel pipe coming from the twin carbs that attaches to
>the engine valance and drips petrol onto the floor, is this right?

There not fule pipes, they are breather pipes to main atmospheric air
pressure in the float chambers.  Fule coming out of there tells you that the
stopcock like valves in there don't cutt off the fule supply at the correct
level.   There sticking.  See how to replace in the manuals.

Join the TSSC, and GO to the club meetings it's not worth joining if you
don't.  You can get a lot of work done on your car for the price of a couple
of pints.

I started to learn on the spitfire two years ago, and I have managed to
single handedly overhaul and convert to an overdrive gearbox.

James

Spitting in Oxford.