new owners questions

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: new owners questions
From: "Nigel Anderson" <nigel.anderson@advancedeng.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:35:37 +0100
Hello listers,

Finally I have purchased my dream car.  Ever since my dad had one when I was
7 years old, I have wanted one.

Having been put off buying one over the 5 years of my driving experience by
such comments as "but it's so unreliable" & "It will cost you a fortune in
repairs" I decided sod it, I want one and I want it now, I dont care how
much it costs.( the last parts a lie, I do care how much).

I'm now a proud owner of a 1979 Spitfire 1500 in russet brown with only 48K
genuine miles, having only purchased mine 5 weeks ago I have already added a
further 1600 miles.

The problem for me is that I am mechanically brain dead.  Although this is
something that I wish to change.

I was thrilled to find this newsgroup with so many knowledgeable people who
are willing to help others with their spitfire related problems.

Therefore I have some very simple questions that I hope you can answer.
    a.. My indicator doesn't flash (just a continuous light) on one side,
but works fine on the other, hazard lights work well too.  Can anyone tell
me what part needs replacing? I guess the relay, but is there one for each
side or a sepeate one for the hazards?
    b.. Can anyone recommend a good repair/service book that is ideal for a
novice?
    c.. I have a thin fuel pipe coming from the twin carbs that attaches to
the engine valance and drips petrol onto the floor, is this right?
Many thanks,

Nigel Anderson
Hampshire, UK