Re: new owners questions

To: Nigel Anderson <nigel.anderson@advancedeng.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: new owners questions
From: William Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:09:15 +0100
Nigel Anderson wrote:

> Hello listers,
>
> Finally I have purchased my dream car.
> Having been put off buying one over the 5 years of my driving experience by
> such comments as "but it's so unreliable" & "It will cost you a fortune in
> repairs" I decided sod it, I want one and I want it now, I dont care how
> much it costs.

Some people will work very hard to convince you against owning an older
car - usually people who have no experience in this area.

> The problem for me is that I am mechanically brain dead.  Although this is
> something that I wish to change.

You'll never find a better car to learn on.

>     a.. My indicator doesn't flash (just a continuous light) on one side,
> but works fine on the other, hazard lights work well too.  Can anyone tell
> me what part needs replacing? I guess the relay, but is there one for each
> side or a sepeate one for the hazards?

Sounds like a grounding problem somewhere. Check for corroded
connections on the side in question. Someone will probably chip in with
a better answer on this one!

>     b.. Can anyone recommend a good repair/service book that is ideal for a
> novice?

Believe it or not, the factory workshop manual is probably the most
idiot proof guide to working on these cars. The Haynes manuals always
seem to assume a certain level of mechanical competence, where the
factory manual assumes little. They're available as reprints from the
major parts suppliers (and the TSSC and possibly other clubs), but
originals turn up easily at shows and autojumbles, if you're inclined to
such events.

>     c.. I have a thin fuel pipe coming from the twin carbs that attaches to
> the engine valance and drips petrol onto the floor, is this right?

It sounds like an overflow from the carburettor bowl - my wife's
Dolomite 1500 has the same arrangement. It shouldn't really drip fuel
regularly unlsess your float-bowl (a small fuel reservoir on the
carburettor) is flooding. There is a needle valve inside, which is
operated by a float to cut-off the fuel inlet when the bowl is full.
This can get blocked with sediment from the fuel tank, so the valve
doesn't close and the bowl over-fills.

> Many thanks,
>
> Nigel Anderson
> Hampshire, UK

I hope this is some help,
        Regards,
                Bill (in Swindon, Wiltshire).

                            This Message sent by:
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup