RE: new owners questions

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: new owners questions
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:15:02 +0100
>Hello listers,

Hi Nigel!

>Finally I have purchased my dream car.  Ever since my dad had one when I was
>7 years old, I have wanted one.
>
>I'm now a proud owner of a 1979 Spitfire 1500 in russet brown with only 48K
>genuine miles, having only purchased mine 5 weeks ago I have already added a
>further 1600 miles.

Congratulations!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it - and enjoy learning stuff,
too!

>Therefore I have some very simple questions that I hope you can answer.
>    a.. My indicator doesn't flash (just a continuous light) on one side,
>but works fine on the other, hazard lights work well too.  Can anyone tell
>me what part needs replacing? I guess the relay, but is there one for each
>side or a sepeate one for the hazards?

See Michael G's post

>    b.. Can anyone recommend a good repair/service book that is ideal for a
>novice?

The Haynes manual is the generally accepted manual to use, although
often criticised for some inaccuracies.  Lots of people (including me)
like to use it in conjunction with the workshop manual (available from
places like Rimmer Bros).

>    c.. I have a thin fuel pipe coming from the twin carbs that attaches to
>the engine valance and drips petrol onto the floor, is this right?

No!!!!!

Where exactly is the petrol coming from?  Is it coming from the middle
of the hose, or the end?  If it's the middle, the hose needs replacing -
and you should probably replace the whole lot, because if one's gone,
the others won't be far behind.  You can get a complete kit from any of
the big suppliers.  If it's from the end of a hose, it might just be
that the jubilee clip that holds the hose in place isn't tightened - but
I'd say this is probably less likely.  Get this fixed before you drive
the car any more!  You don't describe exactly where the leak is coming
from, but it sounds like it's not too far away from the hot exhaust
manifold, and petrol on that is definitely not something you want!

You might also want to consider joining a club such as TSSC and going
along to some meetings - apart getting know people who know stuff about
cars, meetings can also be excellent social events.

Happy motoring!

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500