Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:09:01 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/18/2015 08:08:55, Serialize complete at 02/18/2015 08:08:55
I have a total of 8 reels in my shop.  They are different styles and price
points.

The manual winding ones are far preferred when the reel is someplace that
you can reach.  The automatic type constantly 'stack' the hose on one side
and then you need to pull it out a little way and rewind it.

I do have one of the economy manual winding reel on the McMaster Carr
page.  I had to replace a washer on it and it was easy.  The one thing
about it that I don't like, is that with the arms sticking out, if you are
winding the hose out in anything but a straight line, the hose will catch
on them.  I would definitely prefer a model with the disc sides instead of
the four arms.

FWIW, I do have a few cheapies from HF.  They all work now (one needed
tweaking when I got it.)  They are holding up pretty well.  As a testament
to one of them, it's mounted on my lift upright.  I raised the lift when
the body was over the arm as it went up.  I stopped it after it took some
crushing.  But the unit still works even though the body is messed up.

I try to turn my air lines off when I leave the shop.  I do have minor
leaks in the system, but it's nothing that can be heard, and I'm not sure
it's at any of the reels (or just there.)

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Sent by: "Shop-talk" <shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net>
02/17/2015 10:08 PM
Please respond to
old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>

PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>, Shop Talk
<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec

Hey guys,

These work well if you don't mind hand cranking them.  They don't leak,
made in the US and should last a lifetime.  Replacement parts are
available:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-reels/=vyfqvj

best,