Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 20:26:14 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, john niolon wrote:
> David... I agree with Eric...   I've got two... one commercial unit from a
> fire hose company and one from Harbor freight...   neither leak but the
> hoses do...   I put a ball valve before each and a drain stub under each.  I
> just flip the lever off when I don't need air for a few minutes then back on
> when I need it...   it goes off when the job is done and I don't lose my
> tanks charge...   The really good commercial ones are VERY expensive..

    My 'shop' is really a 2.5 car attached garage, and I have the
compressor in a shed outside.  Copper line runs into the garage on the
rear wall, right by the entry/exit stairs to the house.  There's a ball
valve there with a big orange handle at eye level... I still don't always
shut it off when I should ;)  Sometimes I think I'm going inside for just
a minute, and wind up done for the day, etc.  I might not get back out
there for a few days.

    It's not a huge deal if it leaks, but I'm kind of picky, and I feel
like if we can land a probe on a comet, we ought to be able to build a
hose reel that doesn't leak.  At least not when it is brand new.

    And I already had to replace one ball valve that developed a leak in
about a year, defeating its entire purpose.

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman