Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec

To: Shop Talk 'shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 17:01:30 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Brian Kennedy wrote:
> I have a friend resto moding a '57 Ford in his first class restoration garage
> nee dairy barn. Much to my surprise, he uses the white plastic pipe to run air
> from his industrial sized compressor all over the place. He said it's been in
> place for about 25 years and he's had only one leak. Next time I'm by, I'll
> look at how he does retractable hoses if he does.

    You might want to tell him to rip that pipe out, while you are there.
It is lethal when it blows, which it will do, eventually.  I'd wear a
helmet when I visit, if I were you.

"Dear Mr. Cannova:

the use of plastic pipe for compressed air systems, I trust this letter
will clear up any confusion over the issue.

It is our position that PVC pipe shall not be used as a means of
transporting compressed air. This position follows the manufacturer's own
statements that PVC is unsuitable for compressed air systems. We do allow
the use of certain ABS materials that are specifically designed for
compressed air systems. One such product is "Duraplus" air line piping
system ABS pipe. However, as in any such system, the manufacturer's
specifications on acceptable pressure and temperature considerations must
be followed.

In closing, misapplication of a product, such as using PVC for compressed
air systems, may result in citations and penalties being issued dependent
upon the specific conditions."
- https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

--
  David Hillman