Re: [Shop-talk] Air tank fittings

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air tank fittings
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:49:25 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Scott wrote:
> I have the H-F 11-gallon steel air tank. It always bled down in about a day,
> which I attributed to the little plastic twist on/off valve/fitting.
>
> So...$35 of brass from Lowes later, I have replicated the original brass
> fitting, and added a 1/2" gas shut off valve.
>
> I bought:
>
> 1/2" male to 1/2" male adapter (tank 'in')
> 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" female t-fitting
> 1/2" male to 1/8" female bushing (for the pressure gauge output)
> 1/2" male to 1/2" male adapter (another one) to connect the t-fitting to the
> shut-off valve
> 1/2" female to 1/2" female gas shut-off valve
> 1/2" male to 1/4" female bushing (the hose 'out')
>
> That's a lot of work to replicate the original H-F part.  I was thinking I'd
> just return those parts and buy a new...what?  I am admittedly not a great
> Boolean searcher, but I can't find anything like this on McMaster or anywhere
> else.  Surely this is just because I suck at the internet, right?

I knew for sure that McMaster had it because I'd seen it before and even
then it took me 15 minutes searching their site to get the magic
combination of words.

I think what you want is on catalog page 485, item #5867T21

I've never seen one of these with a ball valve to replace the screw valve,
which is what always seems to leak.  If you find one, I'd like to know
about it.  :-)

Mark

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums