Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:19:29 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Steven Trovato wrote:
> I'm not really getting this 20lb drop through the hose.  The way I
> learned physics, if there is 125 psi in the tank, and the regulator is
> set to 125, there's 125 psi at the end of the hose.  Now, when you hook
> that up to a low tire, there will be less than 125 for a while, but
> eventually the system will reach 125 in the tank, hose and tire if you
> let it.  It might take a while, so if that's your problem, there are
> various ways to address that.  Higher pressure at the compressor is one.
> Or larger diameter hose.  Of course, if this is just a justification for
> purchasing a new compressor, then ignore this and keep shopping.

Yeah, I'd have said that too, except that there's no air flow (at least
discernable airflow... Like if you hold it on there you can't hear any air
flowing and holding it in place for probably 10 seconds doesn't change the
pressure in the tire).

It could be that the pressure switch on my current compressor stops the
party early, for all I know.

I'd say this is 50% justification and 50% need.  That's an average of 25%
need in reality and 75% need reported to my wife.

Mark