[Shop-talk] air compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] air compressor question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, there've been some good air compressor discussions on here, and now
that I might go buy a 'real' compressor, I have some questions...

Oh. The main motivating reason for buying one now is that we have a
motorhome that needs 110 psi in the tires.  My current craftsman 33 gallon
jobby I got ten years ago shuts off at 125psi or so and by the time you
get to the end of the hose line at the tire, I can't get any more than
105psi in the tire.

Not that I haven't been wanting to upgrade the compressor over the years,
of course... It'd be nicer if it was quieter, could run a cutoff without
running down, handled a small blast cabinet easier, etc.

Anyway, looking at 'real' compressors, this one looks nice to me:
http://www.tptools.com/p/184,91_5-HP-2-Stage-Champion-Centurion-Series.html

It has some of the highest cfm at 90psi I've seen, max pressure is 175psi,
and the pump runs at 805 rpm which I assume means it'll be pretty quiet.
The downside, of course, is price.  Its by far more expensive than any of
my other options.

This Pro Quad 5hp 2 Stage on this page:
http://www.tptools.com/p/2904,91_Quincy-Pro-and-Max-Series.html

is a good bit cheaper.  But it shows 1310 rpm and apparently produces a
little less air.  So my question with this one is... how much noisier
should I expect it to be?  Or is pump RPM not everything for that.

Then, my other option and going in a totally different direction would be
something like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916561000P?keyword=60+gallon+air+compressor

Obviously the win is price.  It seems worse in every other respect and may
even require me to manually dump air to cycle the compressor if it doesn't
kick on around 130psi or so to keep decent pressure at the end of the hose
for tires.  But man is it cheaper, and there's a couple year old used one
for $300 not too far from me.

So... Any advice?  In particular, are there any compressors similar to the
first two that are significantly cheaper?

Thanks!

Mark