Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:59:34 -0700
> In particular, are there any compressors
> similar to the
> first two that are significantly cheaper?

FWIW, I picked up a used Sears unit somewhat similar to your second option,
for $500.  Advertised as "7.5 hp", but it's about 5 really (made before the
court case over compressor ratings, obviously), and rated for 16.9 cfm @ 175
psi.  Compressor is aluminum (with steel cylinder liners) but I expect it
will outlast me for the hour or two per week that I use it.  It is pretty
loud, but it seems comparable to the units I've seen in gas stations and
whatnot (which are usually located away from the work area so the mechanics
don't have to listen to them).  And at least half of the noise seems to be
coming from the air intake, which I think would be just as bad or worse on a
slower turning unit (which would have more displacement to move the same
amount of air).

Randall