Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air compressor question
From: James F Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:18:37 -0400
Mark:  I have this one from Sears

Craftsman Professional 60 gal. Air Compressor, 3.2 hp, Vertical Tank,
Oillube Pump

I'm not sure of the link you sent (didn't get me quite there) but I have
been very happy with my choice.  I don't understand their HP rating but
the CFM rates are consistent with other units labeled as 5 HP and I
think the current draw is the same.  More truth in advertising?

It's relatively quiet, oil lube is so much nicer than those awful oiless
units, and it's reasonably priced (although I paid only 499 a year ago.)

Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Ok, there've been some good air compressor discussions on here, and
> now that I might go buy a 'real' compressor, I have some questions...
>
> Oh. The main motivating reason for buying one now is that we have a
> motorhome that needs 110 psi in the tires.  My current craftsman 33
> gallon jobby I got ten years ago shuts off at 125psi or so and by the
> time you get to the end of the hose line at the tire, I can't get any
> more than 105psi in the tire.
>
> Not that I haven't been wanting to upgrade the compressor over the
> years, of course... It'd be nicer if it was quieter, could run a
> cutoff without running down, handled a small blast cabinet easier, etc.
>
> Anyway, looking at 'real' compressors, this one looks nice to me:
> http://www.tptools.com/p/184,91_5-HP-2-Stage-Champion-Centurion-Series.html
>

> It has some of the highest cfm at 90psi I've seen, max pressure is
> 175psi, and the pump runs at 805 rpm which I assume means it'll be
> pretty quiet. The downside, of course, is price.  Its by far more
> expensive than any of my other options.
>
> This Pro Quad 5hp 2 Stage on this page:
> http://www.tptools.com/p/2904,91_Quincy-Pro-and-Max-Series.html
>
> is a good bit cheaper.  But it shows 1310 rpm and apparently produces
> a little less air.  So my question with this one is... how much
> noisier should I expect it to be?  Or is pump RPM not everything for
> that.
>
> Then, my other option and going in a totally different direction would
> be something like this:
>
>http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916561000P?keyword=60+gallon+air+compressor
>

> Obviously the win is price.  It seems worse in every other respect and
> may even require me to manually dump air to cycle the compressor if it
> doesn't kick on around 130psi or so to keep decent pressure at the end
> of the hose for tires.  But man is it cheaper, and there's a couple
> year old used one for $300 not too far from me.
>
> So... Any advice?  In particular, are there any compressors similar to
> the first two that are significantly cheaper?
>
> Thanks!

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
james_f_juhas.vcf]