Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:13:54 -0400
David Hillman wrote:
>    Unless you only have, and exclusively use, desktop machines in
> specific locations... go wireless.  It's so much easier to just have a
> couple laptops, and wireless everywhere in the house.

I'm still not a fan of wireless.  It's fast enough for web surfing (ie:
  faster than your internet connection) but slow for bulk things, like
transferring that entire video file between machines, or doing backups.
   I get a solid 10MB/sec on 100-BT, and 25-70MB/sec on wired gigabit.
It's also unreliable, insecure, nonstandard, and dang it, I just don't
like it.

>    The cable you want is Cat5, and the connectors are RJ-45.  It's been
> about fifteen years since I cabled a building, but I remember that
> crimping 8-wire cat5 was not something we did for the enjoyment.

Sorry, but Cat-5 came out in 1991 and is considered obsolete.  Cat-6e is
current and Cat-7 is proposed.  AT LEAST run high-grade wire -- it's the
most labor intensive part of the job.  You can buy cheap low-grade jacks
and replace them if better is needed.

Crimping plugs on cables is something a pro should know how to do in a
pinch.  But pre-made cables are way too cheap and good nowadays to screw
with the cost of a crimp tool or your labor time.

-Wayne