Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:59:10 -0700
> I have done this and it is basically what you said, buy cable
> connectors, crimper, etc.  It's not brain surgery, but it does pay to
> be careful to make reliable connections.  I found this site useful
> regarding the actual
> mechanics:  http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/

Note that the instructions on that site gloss over the color code at the
plugs.  For 3 of the 4 pairs, the white/tracer wire goes next to its
matching color wire.  But there is a pair that should be split, usually the
green pair IIRC.  Failing to observe this can result in a cable that sort-of
works, but has a high error rate.

Another gotcha, if you buy solid wire rather than stranded, be sure you get
solid wire connectors to go with it.  The "stranded only" connectors are
usually somewhat cheaper, as they have only a single point to pierce the
insulation and wire.  But if you use them with solid wire, the point will
slip off to one side of the wire and not make a good connection.  This can
also be a frustrating source of intermittent network problems.

The proper "solid or stranded" connectors have two points, that pierce the
insulation and trap the wire between the points for a solid connection.

-- Randall