Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
> > http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html
>
> I don't get the A vs. B stuff... Is this just for the color scheme used?
> The pin outs look to be identical, so I don't see how this would matter,
> other than if you wanted all your colors to end up in the same place on
> the connector for multiple runs.  In particular I don't see how one would
> work for a phone connection and one wouldn't, if the pin outs on the
> connector are the same?

The only difference is the colors, and how it relates to the color coding
in two-pair phone wiring, and how pairs are counted.

http://www.actcabling.com/t568a-t568b-termination.htm

has a good diagram and some explanation ... but it really
is fairly confusing/arcane. The point is that a "two-pair" cable
system as might be used for a voice phone will be more color
consistent with T568A ... even if most ethernet wiring plants
are wired in T568B.